Jan 2, 2010

Ghost Crabs

Last weekend was spent tracking Ghost Crabs. Real crabs called Ghost Crabs. I followed one, it was difficult because his pale sandy colored coat and his speed kept me confused. Each time I would focus and zoom in, he would scurry off diagonally. It was difficult keeping pace with him and his speed of 10 miles per hour (4.5 m/s). It was his vertical, cylindrical eyes that helped me spot him each time. The eyes have sharp 360degree vision, which help them spot flying insects and catch them mid-air.


I found it interesting to watch him build his home, the tiny one would throw out sand from the hole almost equal to his weight and then would settle down below. I waited for a while for him to come out to wet his gills to obtain oxygen. He never resurfaced, probably he must have exited through another hole.



I searched in vain for a female one with its egg sac as they frequent the water more often to keep the eggs wet. Most of them were tiny probably still in their baby stages. The sun was about to set and I wished it was a full moon night, the beach at Karaikal, Tamil Nadu would have been then filled with these tiny Ghost Crabs scuttling across facing the moon.


Camera Critters

I wish all my readers A Very Happy and Safe 2010.

31 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Happy New Years to you and yours. the ghost crabs are cool critters, great photos.

chubskulit said...

Alert and enthusiastic!

My Camera Critter post. Have a good day!

Misty Dawn said...

This is so cool! What a very interesting critter you photographed superbly!

Steve Borichevsky said...

I photographed a ghost crab in the Caribbean. I know what you went through. You have a wonderful blog with great sensitivity and wonderful photography.

Lavender Cottage said...

That was very interesting, thanks for sharing your photos. Those are big eyes the ghost crab has!

Joops said...

I always wondered what they ate. I tried to photograph fast-movers like this and I agree it is very difficult.

My first time joining this meme,hope you can take a peek on my first CC entry. Have a great weekend!

Snap said...

How interesting! Wonderful photos of the ghost crab. Happy New Year, Indrani!

ellen said...

What a great entry you have! Wishing you all the best this year. God Bless you and your family.

Mine is up! Hope to see you. Your comment is much appreciated.

Mohan said...

Somehow I have been scared of crabs for years now... Nice pics.

Happy new year to you and your family :) Look forward for yet another great year with lots of informative posts!

Rajesh said...

Fantastic snaps. Even though the crab is camouflaged and fast moving it is shot very well.

Wish you Happy & Prosperous New Year.

Adrienne in Ohio said...

Fascinating post and fabulous photos! Happy 2010!

Denise said...

Your photos of the little crab are so interesting and very enjoyable. Thank you and a very happy new Year to you and all your loved ones.

rinelle said...

awesome! wishing you all the best in 2010! mine is up. see yah.

Onkar said...

Very interesting post. Wish you too a happy new year with many more such posts.

rinzo said...

happy camera critters! visit my 2nd entry! happy new year!

Tes said...

Oh wow, really good macros! Aren't those crabs fast? You did a good job. I can see their tiny eyes staring intently at you. Happy New Year, Indrani!

Arun said...

Interesting..

Happy New Year to you.

Lakshmi said...

The beaches in Tamil Nadu are full of them..nice pics

Wolynski said...

Nature adapts living things to their environment - amazing little crabs. Are they edible?
Great photos.
Happy New Year and keep up the good work.

chrome3d said...

A post from another world to me. Alien, weird and beautiful.

Hilary said...

Oh what cool critters. You did well in capturing them under those circumstances.

Happy 2010!

Anya said...

Cool critters :-)

Happy New Year
or in Dutch we say
Gelukkig Nieuwjaar :-)

Kareltje =^.^=
Anya :-)

radha said...

Interesting post! Happy New Year to you too.

Manish Kumar said...

Interesting one ! Have u seen red crabs they r just opposites full of life & color !

The Things We Carried said...

Indrani,

I missed your blog some how for awhile! Happy New Year~

YOSEE said...

What a jolly entertainment that must have been ! Crisp pictures.

Nisha said...

it's fun watching them going diagonally. And look at the eyes !

Indrani, Wish you & your family a very Happy new year. May you travel more.

Happy Kitten said...

A very happy and prosperous New Year to you and your family Indrani...

kallu said...

I've been to Karaikal to visit relatives and see other things..but crab tracking!! Indrani, you are opening up new worlds in familiar places. Wonderful. Keep going

Dora said...

Happy New Year!

Have not seen such crabs before. ;)

exposemaximum said...

I love to eat crabs, not this small one. Huge one. They are yummy. Happy New Year 2010.