Feb 29, 2012

Franz Kafka

When I first set my foot in Prague I had no idea about this city except that it is capital of Czech Republic. I was devouring the sights of the city at a fast rate, new things, old structures, architectural splendors… a mix of old and new.

Looking at one particular statue there, I was stunned motionless. Look at the picture. A huge sized, headless, hand less man carrying another man on his shoulder. I had no idea what this meant. I love to travel for this one reason; you don’t know what you are going to stumble on in the next street.


I came back with just the name inscribed there: Franz Kafka and lots of pictures. A museum dedicated to Franz Kafka is situated close by which I deliberately had to give a miss due to lack of time. Franz Kafka is one best writers of twentieth century. The statue was installed there in 2004 almost 80 years after the death of this writer. It is designed by sculptor Jaroslav Rona. The sculptor of the statue Jaroslav Rona found inspiration for his work in Kafka’s early short story “Description of a Struggle”. The ground under Franz Kafka statue has form resembling the legs of an insect, which recalls his short story “Die Verwandlung”. Reading this book may help understand that the man sitting on a faceless body represents the struggle with bureaucracy. Do let me know if you have chanced on this book.

14 comments:

Joop Zand said...

Very good shot Indrani.....well done.

greetings, Joop

Sylvia K said...

I haven't read the book, but I have read something about it -- somewhere?? Fascinating statue and a great capture as always, Indrani!

Sylvia

Vaish said...

Nice and interesting sculpture...Prague is a beautiful city..Walking along Vltava river, one can feel really romantic!

Kim, USA said...

Your post is interesting to read and that statue is unique. Thanks for sharing.

The Beach

Hazel said...

That is one unique statue.

George said...

I have read some of Kafka's works, and this statue seems perfectly appropriate.

Team G Square said...

Nice3 description....

SueAnn said...

Wonderful sculpture....this book I have not read...but I love the statue.
Hugs
SueAnn

Ash said...

A very interesting statue - thanks for the story as well.

ashok said...

I briefly got the idea behind the statue as soon as I saw it...your explanation proved my intution right...amazing work of art!

Aarti said...

Read the title and was reminded of Kafka on the shore by Murakami...

Lovely sculpture and the place seems so fascinating.. an aunt=uncle who visited prague said it was mind blowing... :)

Vetrimagal said...

This is amazing . unique statue and a beautiful picture.
Thanks for sharing.

R Sudhir Kumar said...

Innovative! so much out if the box. Great find

Claire said...

Old Castle: Kafka Recomposed