Dec 31, 2012

The Ramparts Of Mont St. Michel

When the tides are low the parking system at Le Mont St. Michel is good. I am not aware how it is at high tides. After paying for the parking tickets we set off. It was threatening to pour any moment and we were armed with umbrellas, but we were lucky though the skies were overcast with dark clouds, there was just light drizzle.


‘For centuries pilgrims would have climbed up this very path on which I am treading now’, I thought as I joined the queue of tourists which started right from the base. As I climbed the stairs, it felt like I was walking in to a castle and not an abbey. The huge walls, strong fortifications, no wonder the island was protected for so long and could withstand all attacks. We walked through long corridors, staircases and tunnels that connected magnificent halls, decorative rooms and many other spaces with wonderful or dreadful stories.


We had taken the audio guide and so the understanding the place was easy, the stories given were interesting, I don’t remember anything of it though. That is one major disadvantage I find with these audio guides. Wish they had made detailed pamphlets instead, but lot of information is available in internet and I try to correlate the pictures taken there with the info. It is almost like revisiting the place.


The interiors aren’t so grand like I have seen in some other places, but then it sn’t fair to compare like that. Here are some shots taken on the way to the church at the top. More shots of the church and its interiors in future posts.


18 comments:

Carver said...

I enjoy your travel photographs and narrative very much.

ladyfi said...

Amazing shots!

Sylvia K said...

I think it is the amazing history of this incredible place that is more impressive that beauty! It is awesome and I love your captures ! Have a wonderful holiday weekend, Incrani, and a wonderful New Year!!

Sylvia

TexWisGirl said...

the second shot is really impressive!

Cloudia said...

You have shown what we have only dreamed of! Best regards, Aloha

magiceye said...

Lovely captures of an impressive place!!

Wish you and yours a delightful 2013!

Rajesh said...

Beautiful place.
Wish you Happy and Prosperous New Year!

Gary said...

Great tour!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

Sridharan said...

Impressive structure very well captured..!

Black Jack's Carol said...

Amazing to see this! I, too, like pamphlets to help me remember what I learn, but as you say, going back to internet sites is almost like visiting twice :) Happy New Year!

Carol L McKenna said...

Wow! What an amazing place and excellent photography ~ ^_^

(A Creative Harbor aka ArtMuseDog and Carol ^_^)

Island Rambles Blog said...

That is an amazing heritage abbey..what history it has. It must be wonderful to walk on the steps that have held the feet of so many for so long.

Meena said...

Now u know u cant blame me for thinking u from parts of europe :)

Müge Tekil said...

The second photo is very impressive indeed! I liked also your following remark: "I felt like I was walking into a castle and not an abbey". I agree with you!

Happy New Year!

Ciao!

http://1brindemuguet.blogspot.com

eileeninmd said...

Indrani, what an amazing place to visit. I have really enjoyed seeing your travels thru-out the year. I wish you all the best in 2013! Happy New year!

Anuradha Shankar said...

it does look more like a fort or castle than an abbey! guess like ours, some of the pilgrim places were built within fortifications to help protect them? the place looks lovely, though! have a great year and loads of travel this year!

padmakumargr said...

Imposing structure...beginning the new year on a new high literally. Continue your onward journey... Good Luck.

R Niranjan Das said...

Nice captures!