Jan 30, 2013

Sabarmati Ashram, Ahmedabad

The soil in Sabarmati Ashram is holy!

(Today, 30th January, is Martyr’s day; the date that marks the assassination of Gandhi in 1948. I am reminded of my visit to Sabarmati Ashram some time back.)

It is here Mahatma Gandhi spent 12 years of his life. After returning from South Africa, he found this place to be suitable for his future activities. Here he did his experiments in living, with a major focus on manual labor, agriculture, and literacy to advance his efforts for nation's self-sufficiency. Another historic event this site is associated is ‘the Dandi march’. On 12th March 1930, along with 78 of his companions he set off on a protest against the British Salt Law. On that day he vowed not to return to the ashram till India got her independence.

 (Gandhiji's walking stick and footwear)

Today the ashram is a national monument and maintained well. The Sabarmati River flows by the ashram, silently watching the various activities that are going on for years. The museum here is a rich storehouse of many things associated with life of Gandhi. The life size photographs and paintings amazed me. There are original and photocopies of his handwritten letters, personal clothes, the charkha he used Visiting Hridya Kunj gave me goose bumps; it is here Gandhi stayed with his wife Kasturba.

 A 90 minute guided tour takes you through the various kutirs, displays of woven stuffs, galleries and exhibitions on aspects of Gandhi’s life, literature and activities. Sabarmati Ashram is 9kms from Ahmedabad airport. Book air tickets to Ahmedabad which is well connected to all other major cities. SpiceJet offers on time flight services to Ahmedabad. From airport it takes just fifteen minutes to the Ashram.

(In the map A-Ahmedabad airport, B-Sabarmati Ashram.)


14 comments:

Sylvia K said...

He was an amazing man!! I enjoy his quotes again and again as they always have wisdom I can hopefully learn from! Hope your week is going well, Indrani!

EG CameraGirl said...

Ghandi was a great man. This is a lovely tribute to him.

hitchwriter said...

Even though I have lived so near I have never visited it perhaps its time... earlier during my growing up times I never liked Gandhi... perhaps I understand his philosophy a bit better now and maybe I need to visit this place to get more perspective..

Pietro said...

A nice tribute to Gandhi.
Interesting post, Indrani.

Meena said...

U managed to make a sponsored post such a nteresting one n tht too co-inciding with a D day! Kudos

SueAnn Lommler said...

Amazing and I had no idea! Thanks for the history lesson
Hugs
SueAnn

Anu said...

Reading this leaves me with goosebumps. There's so much to learn from this simple man. I will add this to my list so that I don't regret for not visiting.

ladyfi said...

A totally amazing man!

Jeevan said...

It's a must place to visit!

R Sudhir Kumar said...

Hope to make this pilgrimage sometime.

Arti said...

This post rekindled my memories of the place. What a peaceful and tranquil place resounding in the values that Gandhiji preached. Beautiful post on an apt day, Indrani :)

Hilary said...

A fine tribute to an incredible human being, Indrani.

George said...

Visiting this site must have been a very moving experience. It's wonderful that Gandhi's memory is so well preserved.

Carver said...

He was a remarkable man. Great post.